Close

Forthcoming Events

Forthcoming Events at The Royal Masonic School for Girls

Below are just some of the events that are happening at RMS in the next weeks and months.  This is not an exhaustive list, and details of all our events can be found on the School calendar.

RMS STEAM Lectures 2016-17

The RMS STEAM Lectures are a series of lectures designed for students in Year 10 and above although younger students and parents are welcome too. Our aim is to introduce girls to various STEAM topics and inspire them to seek a STEAM related career.

STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths, but we believe strongly that there would be no "STEM" without the Arts - hence our decision to go for "STEAM".

Lectures take place in the NMH on the third Wednesday of each month. We start with tea and biscuits at 4.15pm followed by an approx. 40-mins talk starting at 4.30pm with questions at the end. 

In September, we welcomed Sophia Forrest from Taylor Woodrow and she gave us an excellent insight into the life of an engineer by telling us about her experiences of building a bridge and re-designing Kings Cross Train Station.

In October, we met  Mai Nguyen ( an Associate at London Bridge Associates Ltd) and she delivered an interesting talk on "Becoming a Civil engineer and career as a woman in tunnelling”

In November, we had the pleasure to welcome back Professor Gerry Thomas from Imperial College who visited us 5 years ago. It was great to hear about the latest radiation data from the Fukushima meltdown and further analysis on the Chernobyl disaster. Her speech was not only clear on radiation risks but encouraged us to support nuclear energy as an excellent alternative source.

We have three more lectures next year and we are looking forward to meeting:

Dr Edina Rosta “Computational Chemistry and Biochemistry” on Wednesday 18th January

Dr Rosta is a Lecturer in Computational Chemistry. Her team looks at the formation and cleavage of phosphate bonds, which are essential to most biological processes including reproduction, protein synthesis, signal transduction, energy storage, and transfer. The group uses computational methods to reveal the molecular mechanisms of how enzymes can achieve both high efficiency and specificity in catalysing phosphate hydrolysis and transfer reactions. Dr Rosta obtained her PhD with Arieh Warshel who won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 2013 so it's a real privilege she is coming.

Prof Alan Davies “The Mathematics of Anamorphic Art” Wednesday 15th March 

Professor Davies is former Head of Physics and Mathematics at the University of Hertfordshire where he has been teaching mathematics to engineers, scientists and mathematicians for more than 30 years. He is the author of six undergraduate mathematics textbooks. 

Anamorphosis provides a distorted picture which appears normal when viewed from a specific point or angle or when using an optical device such as a curved mirror. There are two types of anamophosis: direct view and mirror dating from the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries respectively.  The mathematical description began in this part of the renaissance period with the development of the mathematical ideas of perspective.  We shall look at examples of both types of anamorphosis and describe the mathematical transformations involved.  A variety of examples ranging from the very earliest to the very recent will show both the artistic and the mathematical creativity of the artists.

Francesca Dytor “Myths & Masterminds of Renaissance Venice” Wednesday 17th May 

Francesca Dytor is an MPhil student in Italian Renaissance art at the History of Art and Architecture department, Cambridge, having graduated from the department in 2016 with a double first. She has interned with Foxy Productions, a contemporary art gallery in New York, and is currently working as a tutor for Art History Abroad and The Bigger Picture. Francesca’s research focuses on issues of materiality and agency in Italy from the late fourteenth to early sixteenth centuries. She has recently completed a paper on the art historian Aby Warburg, and is currently working on the legacy of Savonarola for female spirituality in the early sixteenth century. Beyond Italy, Francesca is interested in the work of Manet and Matisse, the practice of art history as a discipline, the art historian Thierry de Duve, video art and global Modernism.

If you would like to attend any of these lectures, please contact phopkins@royalmasonic.herts.sch.uk stating which lecture, and how many people are attending.

You can download a printable version of the STEAM Lecture Programme here

Contact RMS

The Royal Masonic School for Girls

Rickmansworth Park
Rickmansworth
Hertfordshire
WD3 4HF

01923 773168
plan your route
contact us