Close

Forthcoming Events

Forthcoming Events at The Royal Masonic School for Girls

Below are just some of the events that are happening at RMS in the next weeks and months.  This is not an exhaustive list, and details of all our events can be found on the School calendar.

RMS STEAM Lectures 2016-17

The RMS STEAM Lectures are a series of lectures designed for students in Year 10 and above although younger students and parents are welcome too. Our aim is to introduce girls to various STEAM topics and inspire them to seek a STEAM related career.

STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths, but we believe strongly that there would be no "STEM" without the Arts - hence our decision to go for "STEAM".

Lectures take place in the NMH on the third Wednesday of each month. We start with tea and biscuits at 4.15pm followed by an approx. 40-mins talk starting at 4.30pm with questions at the end. 

In September, we welcomed Sophia Forrest from Taylor Woodrow and she gave us an excellent insight into the life of an engineer by telling us about her experiences of building a bridge and re-designing Kings Cross Train Station.

In October, we met  Mai Nguyen ( an Associate at London Bridge Associates Ltd) and she delivered an interesting talk on "Becoming a Civil engineer and career as a woman in tunnelling”

In November, we had the pleasure to welcome back Professor Gerry Thomas from Imperial College who visited us 5 years ago. It was great to hear about the latest radiation data from the Fukushima meltdown and further analysis on the Chernobyl disaster. Her speech was not only clear on radiation risks but encouraged us to support nuclear energy as an excellent alternative source.

We have three more lectures next year and we are looking forward to meeting:

Dr Edina Rosta “Computational Chemistry and Biochemistry” on Wednesday 18th January

Dr Rosta is a Lecturer in Computational Chemistry. Her team looks at the formation and cleavage of phosphate bonds, which are essential to most biological processes including reproduction, protein synthesis, signal transduction, energy storage, and transfer. The group uses computational methods to reveal the molecular mechanisms of how enzymes can achieve both high efficiency and specificity in catalysing phosphate hydrolysis and transfer reactions. Dr Rosta obtained her PhD with Arieh Warshel who won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 2013 so it's a real privilege she is coming.

Prof Alan Davies “The Mathematics of Anamorphic Art” Wednesday 15th March 

Professor Davies is former Head of Physics and Mathematics at the University of Hertfordshire where he has been teaching mathematics to engineers, scientists and mathematicians for more than 30 years. He is the author of six undergraduate mathematics textbooks. 

Anamorphosis provides a distorted picture which appears normal when viewed from a specific point or angle or when using an optical device such as a curved mirror. There are two types of anamophosis: direct view and mirror dating from the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries respectively.  The mathematical description began in this part of the renaissance period with the development of the mathematical ideas of perspective.  We shall look at examples of both types of anamorphosis and describe the mathematical transformations involved.  A variety of examples ranging from the very earliest to the very recent will show both the artistic and the mathematical creativity of the artists.

Lavinia Harrington “Myths & Masterminds of Renaissance Venice” Wednesday 17th May 

Lavinia studied History of Art at Oxford University, where she graduated in 2008 with a first class honours. Lavinia specialised in the art of the Ballets Russes and the Renaissance before gaining an MA from the Courtauld Institute of Art (2010) focusing on 16 th century works on paper and Titian. She currently works for Art History Abroad and tutors History of Art in London and Paris. Her talk is going to add to the variety of our lecture series and remind us of the importance of creativity in STEM. 

If you would like to attend any of these lectures, please contact phopkins@royalmasonic.herts.sch.uk stating which lecture, and how many people are attending.

You can download a printable version of the STEAM Lecture Programme here

Spectrum Dance Show - 8th - 9th March

The School dance show is always a highlight of the Performing Arts calendar.

Led by Fusion, the school dance company, Spectrum features dancers from across the Senior School, performing in a wide range of styles, from contemporary to street jazz.

Tickets cost £8 per adult (£5 for concessions). The show takes place at 7.30pm on Wednesday 8th and Thursday 9th March, in The Space. 

You can book your tickets via  https://trybooking.co.uk/1110

The Lion King - Cadogan House Production 16th -17th March

Disney's The Lion King has captivated the imagination of audiences around the world, and now this one of a kind musical comes to RMS!

The African savannah comes to live on stage with Simba, Rafiki and an unforgettable cast of characters as they journey from Pride Rock to the jungle and back again, in this inspiring coming of age tale.

The show will be stated in the Great Hall at 7.00pm on Thursday 16th and Friday 17th March, and tickets cost £5.

Disney Magic - Lower School Production 21st-23rd March

Students from Years 7,8 and 9 present your favourite songs, scenes and dances from the hit Disney shows including The Jungle Book, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and modern classics such as Frozen.

This event takes place at 7.30pm on Tuesday 21st, Wednesday 22nd and Thursday 23rd March in The Space.  Tickets cost £10 per adult and £5 for concessions.

Tickets can be booked here: www.trybooking.co.uk/1154

Spring Concert Tuesday 28th March

This is the final full concert of the academic year, and features all the School's choirs and orchestras, and is also a chance to say farewell to our Year 13 musicians.

The event takes place from 7.00pm in the Great Hall. No ticket is needed. 

Ensembles Concert Monday 8th May

This concert features performances by ensemble groups from Cadogan House and the Senior School under the direction of our many talented visiting music teachers.

Performers include rock bands, percussion groups, concert band, guitar ensembles, and always a favourite, the Year 3 ukulele band!

The event takes place at 7.00pm in Cadogan House Hall and no ticket is needed.

Mindfulness Course for Parents and Guardians

We had a successful Mindfulness course for parents during Michaelmas Term and I am pleased to offer a further course this Term. It starts very soon so if you would like to take part please check your diary and make your booking as soon as possible so we can gauge if we have enough participants to go ahead.

Once again the teacher will be Gayle Creasey http://gaylecreaseypsychotherapy.co.uk and the course will take place here at School on Monday evenings from 7.00pm until 9.00pm as follows: January 16th, 23rd and 30th; February 6th, 20th and 27th; March 13th and 20th; there will be a retreat day at the Chalfont St Peter Academy on 19th March 2017 from 10.00am until 4.00pm.

The course will cost £260 which is comparable with equivalent courses and you will be guided through a variety of Mindfulness exercises; you will also receive a course handbook and there will be tailored guidance to support your individual learning and group discussions to facilitate your understanding.

Each week you will be invited to practice Mindfulness at home, using downloadable audio exercises, in between the taught sessions. In this regard Mindfulness is very similar to physical fitness in that we can go to the gym once a week but unless we put in further practice at home we will not get the full benefits of the training; in both cases the more we can practice the better, but how much participants do at home is entirely up to them.

Mindfulness teaches ways to pay attention to life, to pause, to step back and see a situation more clearly. The School is steadily introducing Mindfulness to the girls, and this is an opportunity for parents both to learn something of what they are learning, and to learn some Mindfulness for themselves. Participants will be taught simple skills to create the positive mental habit of noticing and savouring pleasant experiences that will enhance your resilience and happiness both as a parent and as an individual.  You will also learn how bringing mindful awareness to stress, anxiety or worries can help you to cope more effectively in the challenging moments that you inevitably face as a parent; and also in such moments that you experience in other aspects of your life.

If you would like to book a place on the course please go to http://gaylecreaseypsychotherapy.co.uk/royal-masonic-parents-course; there are contact details there for Gayle if you would like to talk to her; or you can contact me, preferably by email jquill@royalmasonic.herts.sch.uk. As there is a limit to the number of people who can participate you will need to book promptly if you want to secure a place.

A couple of comments from parents who took the course in Michaelmas Term might be helpful:

• I have found the course to be very useful indeed and I feel that I have learnt a lot and have become better able to control negative thoughts. As a result, I think I now appreciate what I have more. I realise that there will be busy even difficult times, but that they will normally pass and that it is important to look after myself during these times by not letting negative thoughts dominate, impacting on my mood, my behaviour and my health.
  • I would thoroughly recommend this course to everyone, no matter what their situation.
  • I am very pleased to report that in actual fact some aspects of Gayle’s course have supported my existing meditation practice. Of particular help has been “naming thoughts” which has helped me to identify unhelpful thought patterns and start to diminish their influence over how I feel.

Contact RMS

The Royal Masonic School for Girls

Rickmansworth Park
Rickmansworth
Hertfordshire
WD3 4HF

01923 773168
plan your route
contact us